Normally, we offer teaching Assistantships (Graduate Assistant-teaching; GAT) to our top MS applicants; some of these Assistantships include tuition payments, and some only confer in-state tuition status because of University rules. Moreover, several MS applicants receive offers of a Research Assistantship from faculty members with active research grants. Normally, our teaching offers are extended for 2 years for MS students and 4 years for PhD students. For PhD students, annual renewal of teaching offers is contingent upon satisfactory progress toward the degree. We have funded PhD students beyond 4 years when we have demand for their teaching and when they show progress toward completing their dissertations. To support their research, PhD students normally submit grant proposals to fund data collection and analysis, or they are supported by Research Assistantships. PhD students have obtained research funds through the National Science Foundation's Dissertation Improvement Grant. Several of our PhD students have received University-wide funds for enhancing a diverse graduate student population.


There are some available funding options through the College of Geosciences. For more information, contact the graduate director or academic advisor.

Teaching Assistantships

Departments offer numerous teaching opportunities. Teaching is typically in undergraduate laboratory courses (e.g., GEOG 203), ranging from 10 to 30 students per lab section. The availability of these assistantships depends on the semester courses being offered and student enrollment in those classes. For more information, contact graduate director or academic advisor.

Research Assistantships

Many professors provide students with research assistantships working on a variety of projects within Departments. This assistantship may or may not be directly related to your graduate work, but it is another option for those not wishing to teach. If there is a faculty member with whom you are particularly interested in working, contact him or her. 

Federally - Supported Grants or Fellowships

These types of funding depend on the money available and provided by various federal agencies. For more information regarding possible grants or fellowship opportunities, contact graduate director or academic advisor.

University Scholarships or Fellowships

The Office of Graduate and Professional Studies (OGAPS) is another funding resource. Many scholarships or fellowships have a range of qualifications and may or may not be affiliated through your Department.

Non-Teaching Graduate Assistantship (GANT)

Assistantships are also available within multiple university branches, such as the Study Abroad Office or Association of Former Students. These are not typically available through your Department, but require you to contact the particular branch of interest. Another resource for such opportunities is Jobs For Aggies, which continually posts work opportunities throughout the campus.